Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Math


My name is Aelius. I own a delivery business, and have eight young, hardworking men working under me. Most of the time, they are a peaceful bunch, getting along well with each other, but when it comes to their mid-day meal, all bets are off. These normal well-mannered men are turned into a bunch of animals! I used to give them a loaf each, and there wasn't any complaining on their part. But now a business down the road from me is offering their eight men nine loaves to split between them! Well, I can't let those scumbags take my boys off the job, so I'm doing the same. Only problem is that I'm not very good at math. In fact, can't stand the stuff. So I'm getting an old man down the street to help me with it. He's one of those "give a man a fish, teach a man to fish" types, so he showed me how to do the math on some smaller numbers, and now he wants me to try it. Well, here it goes! They all want an equal amount of bread for the work they do. There are 10 loaves of bread, and 8 of them. They will each get a loaf of bread, and then they will start divvying up the rest. There are 2 loaves left, and 8 of them. By dividing those loaves into quarters, each man will get a loaf and a quarter loaf. Perfect! Now that idiot down the street won't get any of MY workers! Oh no...... the boys down the street heard, and they want a job too! More math? Sorry boys, I guess the rest of you are out of a job!

3 comments:

  1. impressive and complicated it looks overall quite nice it's very descriptive and well thought out. nice work Martha! I didn't see anything major that i would change. beside maybe sentence 2 i would change hardworking men or working under me so you dont use it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ccoooooooooooooookkiiee and good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great example and narrative. Would benefit from primary source as back-up.

    ReplyDelete